What's Happening

SolidSteel

SolidSteel

Hi everyone,

Been training on and off 14 years. I'm 43 and fancy trying a powerlifting meet for the first time. I've always trained low rep, compound movements programs. Did 3 years natural, then got on gear. Had long layoffs but always get drawn back. Did Starting Strength's Advanced Novice when I was 39 and was going great guns till my appendix ruptured and with a week in hospital and no food, I was back to zero. Started again recently, gained reasonable strength and 2-3 weeks out from the end of a long diet. Should be 12% BF or so to give me good wiggle room to bulk and move over to Bill Starr's Power Program / Madcow.

Nice to meet you all

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Welcome mate

Always good to have different styles of trainers on the boards.

What are/were your numbers like on the big compounds then bud?

Always interested me this side growing up but took the bodybuilding route instead

M

MattBBMF

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Been training on and off 14 years. I'm 43 and fancy trying a powerlifting meet for the first time. I've always trained low rep, compound movements programs. Did 3 years natural, then got on gear. Had long layoffs but always get drawn back. Did Starting Strength's Advanced Novice when I was 39 and was going great guns till my appendix ruptured and with a week in hospital and no food, I was back to zero. Started again recently, gained reasonable strength and 2-3 weeks out from the end of a long diet. Should be 12% BF or so to give me good wiggle room to bulk and move over to Bill Starr's Power Program / Madcow.

Nice to meet you all
Welcome to the board bud.

SolidSteel

SolidSteel

Welcome mate

Always good to have different styles of trainers on the boards.

What are/were your numbers like on the big compounds then bud?

Always interested me this side growing up but took the bodybuilding route instead
They were never that great but looking back at that whole episode, I can see clearly now where I was going wrong. I maxxed out at 180kg x 5 on the squat and 200kg for 5 on the deadlift. Went round and round in circles a lot but once I came back at it in 2018 and ran Starting Strength for the first time, my squat went from 60kg to150kg for 5x5 in 6 months with TRT test and 350 Tren E/week. It's way more progress than I ever made previously. I would have kept going had it not have been for the appendix because once you're squatting about 1.5 times your BW, it's time to leave Starting Strength. 16 weeks of Madcow would have taken me closer to a squat of 250 odds for 1RM.

I'd love to squat over 300 but we'll see how we go.