Arnie

• Thread starter Functional Fitness
  • Start date
Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

He has earned mega bucks to pay for the best doctors on the planet but he's still had 3 heart surgeries and hasn't got sorted out yet.

Does it ever make you think? Is what we do actually worth it in pursuit of looking good/feeling jacked/and being bigger than the average healthy man?

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this recently mate.
An MRI scan showed my recent shoulder injury is down to osteoarthritis.
Chronic overuse of the shoulder joint has resulted in the cartilage being badly worn down, which is irreversible damage.

I'm going to need a shoulder replacement at some point in the not to distant future.

Was all that heavy training worth it now ? I don't honestly know.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this recently mate.
An MRI scan showed my recent shoulder injury is down to osteoarthritis.
Chronic overuse of the shoulder joint has resulted in the cartilage being badly worn down, which is irreversible damage.

I'm going to need a shoulder replacement at some point in the not to distant future.

Was all that heavy training worth it now ? I don't honestly know.

I always trained for bodybuilding not strength so I stayed fairly injury free at my peak and only occasionally had minor issues with knees, lower back, and rotator cuff, as a direct result of using barbells. It's the steroid side of things that's really starting to play on my mind these days as I know I used way too much when I was younger and I've been running cycles for just over 30 years now so "internally" I've not got a clue what damage I might've done or what health issues might suddenly creep up on me. I quit orals a long time ago and I've already decided to not run any more cycles "if" I reach 60 but I can't help but think that sooner or later I'm going to start falling apart :sick::eek:

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
Probably ahead of you because I'm starting to fall apart physically....

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Probably ahead of you because I'm starting to fall apart physically....

Sorry to hear that mate but maybe change your training outlook now to prepare for your golden years? You will drop some size/condition for sure but that's better than ending up like Ronnie Coleman.

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
Already changed mate.

The indestructible, heavy weight syndrome has gone. My ego is firmly left in the car park.
Light weights with moderate reps is the way forward. The plan is to try & manage this with moderated training & exercise.

I will need a shoulder replacement but hopefully I can delay it as long as possible.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I will need a shoulder replacement but hopefully I can delay it as long as possible.

Have you not got any options to avoid that surgery? I get what you're saying about cartilage damage as that's something that won't regenerate naturally and heal itself like some injuries do but surely you could stop shoulder pressing and doing lateral flyes/front raises etc and just put up with having slightly smaller delts/traps to avoid a big operation? At your stage of development there is no chance that your shoulder width/thickness will ever totally disappear even if you stopped training delts (until of course you reach OAP stage/deaths door). You would only slowly/progressively lose definition that's all but still be as wide as a barn door even if you turned to fat.

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
No options to avoid.
I can extend the the timescale by doing what you suggest above.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

No options to avoid.
I can extend the the timescale by doing what you suggest above.

Do what's best for you mate. In your situation I would not have that operation unless I literally couldn't use my shoulder/arm anymore. I don't want Doctors trying to fix me and keep me alive when I'm 60-70-80-whatever. Fuck that. Give me some pain meds instead and I'll be alright :)