Barbell Rows (proper form).

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

This might be informative for some of you.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Perfect form. Pull to lower abs/groin for lower lat engagement or pull to upper abs/lower pecs to target middle back.

Screenshot 2022 04 21 193302

H

Hiddensound

I reckon most of the top pro's would disagree. Look at Dorian Yates' form - and he arguably had the best back of all time.

I don't believe there is such a thing as 'proper form', at least not in a general sense. Everyone's body is different, from muscle insertion points, to lever length. So yes, an individual may have optimal form for their particular body, but this won't necessarily translate to another person's anatomy.
This is NOT a barbell row.

Last edited:
Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Dorian=Genetics but that's a different topic mate.
I just feel that guys these days have lost touch with what barbell row form is and it's more about showing off now and saying how much you can lift.

H

Hiddensound

I just feel that guys these days have lost touch with what barbell row form is and it's more about showing off now and saying how much you can lift.
I certainly agree with that point. I see far too much ego lifting at the expense of muscle activation.

L

le140878

Sometime you have to except mate some people are very strong with great form

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Sometime you have to except mate some people are very strong with great form

I've got no problem believing that and I understand some guys are naturally gifted and very strong but just focusing on numbers/weight means fuck all in terms of muscle hypertrophy and growth.

I can rack pull and shrug about 300 on a good day but if I lean forward a bit and tilt my head does that mean it's a barbell row lol ?

Dbol Squirrel

Dbol Squirrel

I reckon most of the top pro's would disagree. Look at Dorian Yates' form - and he arguably had the best back of all time.

I don't believe there is such a thing as 'proper form', at least not in a general sense. Everyone's body is different, from muscle insertion points, to lever length. So yes, an individual may have optimal form for their particular body, but this won't necessarily translate to another person's anatomy.
Totally agree.
Form is subjective and irrelevant so long as it's done from experience and not ignorance.
And I doubt anyone here is ignorant.
Then it just comes down to what you call the specific exercise.
Call it a barbell row or call it bugs bunny.
It's not going to change it's affect.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Then it just comes down to what you call the specific exercise.
Call it a barbell row or call it bugs bunny.

Okay, in that case I'm looking forward to my next chest/tri session on Monday when I'll be doing donald ducks and mickey mouses for pecs and some scooby doos and captain pugwashes for the back of my arms :)

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

On a more serious note though, I think form is very important and especially for guys who like posting big numbers for lifts.

For example, don't tell me you are doing dumbbell side laterals with 50kg if you're doing them like this !

Rename the exercise to "I can pick up a heavy dumbbell and do stupid shit with it" instead.

L

le140878

I've got no problem believing that and I understand some guys are naturally gifted and very strong but just focusing on numbers/weight means fuck all in terms of muscle hypertrophy and growth.

I can rack pull and shrug about 300 on a good day but if I lean forward a bit and tilt my head does that mean it's a barbell row lol ?
Know Most definitely not at all, but some guys have build up strength over the years a good friend of mine can row 190kg for reps. And he’s got a back like a barn door. And with good form I know weight is irrelevant, but doing 20kg rows over time with not build muscle you have to go up in numbers not rushed, like some do but for maximum hypertrophy you have to increase that load

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Know Most definitely not at all, but some guys have build up strength over the years a good friend of mine can row 190kg for reps. And he’s got a back like a barn door. And with good form I know weight is irrelevant, but doing 20kg rows over time with not build muscle you have to go up in numbers not rushed, like some do but for maximum hypertrophy you have to increase that load

I agree that progressive overload is necessary but I've had too many injuries in the past from going too heavy so I prefer strict form with a little bit less weight these days and I'll do more volume to increase intensity.

darrenG10

darrenG10

Best lift
100kg db row
80kg incline db
70kg db shoulder press
310kg rdl
210kg bb row
260kg safety squat

Attempted 90kg incline db got 3 dont count It

Rarely deadlifted but 280kg then stopped
Flat bench 210k only flat benched 2 years total in my life stopped after micro tear.

Incline bench 170kg 10 reps.
180kg 6 reps

barbell skull crusher 140kg
Easy bar 140kg

Bb curl 80kg
Reverse curl 100kg

There is more
Never did a strength program and now don’t do half of it form always

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Best lift
100kg db row
80kg incline db
70kg db shoulder press
310kg rdl
210kg bb row
260kg safety squat

Attempted 90kg incline db got 3 dont count It

Rarely deadlifted but 280kg then stopped
Flat bench 210k only flat benched 2 years total in my life stopped after micro tear.

Incline bench 170kg 10 reps.
180kg 6 reps

barbell skull crusher 140kg
Easy bar 140kg

Bb curl 80kg
Reverse curl 100kg

There is more
Never did a strength program and now don’t do half of it form always
Terrific numbers there bud

darrenG10

darrenG10

Terrific numbers there bud
And I might get hate but I only did rdl 3 weeks In my entire life and week 3 pulled 310 for 6 lol now do much lighter more stiff leg the boy in the gym was so pissed of as he did them for years pulling 240 but my back is strong my mate I did them with is a total freak strong as hell took a year off came in front squated 300kg very gifted in strength

K

Kompany4

Staff member
And I might get hate but I only did rdl 3 weeks In my entire life and week 3 pulled 310 for 6 lol now do much lighter more stiff leg the boy in the gym was so pissed of as he did them for years pulling 240 but my back is strong my mate I did them with is a total freak strong as hell took a year off came in front squated 300kg very gifted in strength
Awesome mate seriously