Illness

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
I've had a chest infection for last few days. I'm infrequently ill so this is driving me insane.
Feel like putting a jet wash down my throat to clear the catarrh build up.
Coughing my lungs up, with no signs of improving.
Anybody got any recommendations for a remedy or a least something that will help.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Assuming this isn't some sort of Covid issue...go and get a strong decongestant (pills and a syrup) and some nasal spray and start a short course of antibiotics if you've got some leftovers in your medicine cabinet (GP probably won't prescribe antibiotics for a cold even though they're the best thing to fight any type of infection).

Apart from that just stay well hydrated and let your white blood cells work their magic. Trying to cough it up too much will just inflame your lungs and dry out your throat....thus making things worse.

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
Not covid related just a good old fashioned chest infection.
Done all of the above including antibiotics which I always have on standby.
The coughing things is a good point since I've tried to stop coughing as much it seems to be making a difference. Thanks mate.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Not covid related just a good old fashioned chest infection.
Done all of the above including antibiotics which I always have on standby.
The coughing things is a good point since I've tried to stop coughing as much it seems to be making a difference. Thanks mate.

Try double dosing all the meds for the next 48-72 hours. I usually do this (double recommended dose) at the start of any illness or pain. When I had my tooth ache last week my entire body was almost numb from all the codeine, paracetamol, aspirin, mixed with white rum I was using.
High doses of decongestants and antibiotics for a few days won't kill you unless you've got a known allergy to these meds.

Bonus

Bonus

Administrator
Staff member
Grate a small amount of fresh ginger, squeeze a fresh lemon and add some honey all to a cup of boiled water.
Really does help.
Obv, drink lots of water throughout the day.
Get well soon bud

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
Grate a small amount of fresh ginger, squeeze a fresh lemon and add some honey all to a cup of boiled water.
Really does help.
Obv, drink lots of water throughout the day.
Get well soon bud
Thanks mate

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Get well soon Adz, can’t offer much advice here mate, due to the pneumonia that nearly wiped me out a few years back I have to run a course of antibiotics a few times per year now, very prone to chest infections.

Bonus’s post looks good though.

Best of luck mate.

AndroLabs

AndroLabs

Chop 1 whole onion, put 1 tablespoon of honey and 1-2 g of black pepper in it and leave it for 4-5 hours.
Then, drink 1 spoonful of the water in the morning and evening.
Repeat it for 4-5 days, you will feel the difference
Get well soon

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Chop 1 whole onion, put 1 tablespoon of honey and 1-2 g of black pepper in it and leave it for 4-5 hours.
Then, drink 1 spoonful of the water in the morning and evening.
Repeat it for 4-5 days, you will feel the difference
Get well soon

Have you got any science or theory behind this "old wives tale" concoction mate? Is there something in an onion that I don't know about? Genuine question. No joke.

AndroLabs

AndroLabs

Have you got any science or theory behind this "old wives tale" concoction mate? Is there something in an onion that I don't know about? Genuine question. No joke.
I forgot to write in the previous message, it should be red onion, not white or yellow.
Red onion contains a high amount of such as Quercetin, Tannic acid, Kaempferol, and Luteolin. These are strong antibiotics against gram-negative and gram-positive bacterias. In addition, there is allicin containing sulfur which works as an antimicrobial.
Honey is reacting with onions and causes the decomposition of active substances.
The black pepper also serves as a catalyst that makes the active ingredients more active. It is the black pepper extract that you see as a ''Bioperine'' under the content label of most supplements.
(sorry for my english if it is bad)

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I forgot to write in the previous message, it should be red onion, not white or yellow.
Red onion contains a high amount of such as Quercetin, Tannic acid, Kaempferol, and Luteolin. These are strong antibiotics against gram-negative and gram-positive bacterias. In addition, there is allicin containing sulfur which works as an antimicrobial.
Honey is reacting with onions and causes the decomposition of active substances.
The black pepper also serves as a catalyst that makes the active ingredients more active. It is the black pepper extract that you see as a ''Bioperine'' under the content label of most supplements.
(sorry for my english if it is bad)

That's a very interesting post. Are you perhaps a vegan or vegetarian?

I know some stuff about quercetin use in holistic remedies from when I researched hayfever/allergies years ago and I also know it's benefits for athletes/sports but the other things you mentioned (which I assume are also all flavanoids?) are new to me.

One comment you made confuses me though and seems contradictory:
What's the point of adding honey to this onion juice if it destroys/negatively impacts upon all the active substances/flavanoids?

AndroLabs

AndroLabs

That's a very interesting post. Are you perhaps a vegan or vegetarian?

I know some stuff about quercetin use in holistic remedies from when I researched hayfever/allergies years ago and I also know it's benefits for athletes/sports but the other things you mentioned (which I assume are also all flavanoids?) are new to me.

One comment you made confuses me though and seems contradictory:
What's the point of adding honey to this onion juice if it destroys/negatively impacts upon all the active substances/flavanoids?
l m vegeterian and l went to a doctor last time in 2002. My grandfather is 96 years old and took no medicine during his life and still loves life too much :)
Sorry for my english, sometimes l choose wrong words. l don t mean destroy, l mean honey makes active substances more digestable.