Typical breakfast?

K

Kompany4

Staff member
@Bensif flank steak is very popular lately, does this go by any other name down the supermarket?

Try to use the local butchers as much as I can when money isn’t tight but next couple of weeks it will be supermarkets

Bensif

Bensif

@Bensif flank steak is very popular lately, does this go by any other name down the supermarket?

Try to use the local butchers as much as I can when money isn’t tight but next couple of weeks it will be supermarkets
Sometimes it’s label skirt steak, eg morrisons sell it as skirt.

Bavette is also quite similar and equally tasty. Flank is best on the grill IMO. Also great for slower cooking and takes flavour well.

K

Kompany4

Staff member

Bavette is also quite similar and equally tasty. Flank is best on the grill IMO. Also great for slower cooking and takes flavour well.
Ahhh right mate, See skirt all the time.

Grill better than pan would you say then bud yes?

Cheers mate

Bensif

Bensif

Ahhh right mate, See skirt all the time.

Grill better than pan would you say then bud yes?

Cheers mate
I think so, yeah. By grill I mean bbq grill, but not everyone will stand in the rain and grill steak lol

Its still good in a pan, just not as good. There’s a great Korean recipe for flank / skirt with gochujang.

Dbol Squirrel

Dbol Squirrel

How many calories do you get in during that 5 hours?
Including the smoothie I get between 3800 and 4300.
If i snack like crazy i can get more.
Not as much as i used to but i seem to use calories more efficiently than when i ate all day.
After all, ironically one of the biggest users of energy in the body is digestion.

M

MattBBMF

Staff member
Including the smoothie I get between 3800 and 4300.
If i snack like crazy i can get more.
Not as much as i used to but i seem to use calories more efficiently than when i ate all day.
After all, ironically one of the biggest users of energy in the body is digestion.
I don’t think I could physically consume so much in so little time. Feeling like I am force feeding myself right now just to hit targets.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Flank steak needs to be cooked really quick on high heat or slow braised otherwise it's like chewing on a rubber tyre and you can lose a few teeth in the process ;)

M

Micktb

1 pint cold water on waking (to kick start my digestion)

Roughly 30mins later

350ml liquid egg whites
40g whey isolate

75g gluten free oats
Mixed with 250ml lactose free milk
15g dark cocoa choc mixed into the oats

Dbol Squirrel

Dbol Squirrel

I don’t think I could physically consume so much in so little time. Feeling like I am force feeding myself right now just to hit targets.
Yeah it's about choosing things that have calories but can be added without feeling like much.
I can easily eat a whole quiche at 3pm which gets me to 1,000 to 1,200 kcals.
Then by adding a whole 500g pot of yoghurt another 500kcals.
Smoothie is over 500 also.
So by the time I've gotten to dinner/supper, I've dealt to over 2,200 of that total.

Bensif

Bensif

Flank steak needs to be cooked really quick on high heat or slow braised otherwise it's like chewing on a rubber tyre and you can lose a few teeth in the process ;)
I don't find that to be the case, if you rest it properly afterwards.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I don't find that to be the case, if you rest it properly afterwards.
Are you getting thick cuts from a butcher?
The only bavette I've seen in supermarkets is usually wafer thin like a minute steak so it needs to be seared really quick or slow braised in a sauce/gravy to be moist and edible. It's a lean cut with a low fat content and gets really rubbery if overcooked. Prefer rump, sirloin, ribeye myself or brisket/chuck for stews and casseroles. Topside for Sunday roast.

Bensif

Bensif

Are you getting thick cuts from a butcher?
The only bavette I've seen in supermarkets is usually wafer thin like a minute steak so it needs to be seared really quick or slow braised in a sauce/gravy to be moist and edible. It's a lean cut with a low fat content and gets really rubbery if overcooked. Prefer rump, sirloin, ribeye myself or brisket/chuck for stews and casseroles. Topside for Sunday roast.
I know the ones you mean, they are awful. I've only bought them once... never again.

Morrisons mostly to be honest mate. I go to the counter and ask for them to get me whole packs from their fridge (usually 1.2-2kg in a single pack) for flank / skirt.

Bavette again, Morrisons. They come in packs of 375g, usually they are over and you end up with 2x 200g at about 2-2.5cm thick.

The rest of my meat I buy from a butcher in Scotland.

I only like rump or sirloin from the butcher in scotland, the supermarket stuff can be terrible (or at least in my local supermarkets). Totally agree on Brisket or chuck for stews. Cheek is great too.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I know the ones you mean, they are awful. I've only bought them once... never again.

Morrisons mostly to be honest mate. I go to the counter and ask for them to get me whole packs from their fridge (usually 1.2-2kg in a single pack) for flank / skirt.

Bavette again, Morrisons. They come in packs of 375g, usually they are over and you end up with 2x 200g at about 2-2.5cm thick.

The rest of my meat I buy from a butcher in Scotland.

I only like rump or sirloin from the butcher in scotland, the supermarket stuff can be terrible (or at least in my local supermarkets). Totally agree on Brisket or chuck for stews. Cheek is great too.

If you like proper steaks you should check out the costco general public site mate for bulk buys and excellent quality beef.
Great for big plump mature chicken breasts too and other stuff like lamb, venison, pork.
It's all much better taste and quality than supermarket shit and almost as good as a decent local butcher.
The mixed meat boxes are cracking value for summer BBQs.

Bensif

Bensif

If you like proper steaks you should check out the costco general public site mate for bulk buys and excellent quality beef.
Great for big plump mature chicken breasts too and other stuff like lamb, venison, pork.
It's all much better taste and quality than supermarket shit and almost as good as a decent local butcher.
The mixed meat boxes are cracking value for summer BBQs.

I’ll certainly be doing that, thanks for the tip!